Monday, January 21

Review: Big Sexy Hair Volumizing Dry Shampoo

There are those who will tell you that washing your hair every day is actually bad for it, and that you shouldn't do it. Whether or not you follow that credo is up to you, but personally I like having "fresh" hair every day. But in an effort to have healthier hair I've decided to give up washing daily and try out some dry shampoo.

The first product I used was the Dove dry shampoo based off the recommendation of GlamLifeGuru on YouTube. It doesn't have a bad smell, is super affordable, and it really works. But never content to have something just work fine I opted for a more expensive alternative. It happened really quite whimsically; I was running errands and itching to get a few items from Ulta, so I thought I'd search around for a dry shampoo. Well my first mistake was not doing some research beforehand. I walked around aimlessly looking for suitable options and trying to avoid any two-digit price with a 2 in front of it. Honestly, $20+ for a dry shampoo is silly, especially when the Dove dry shampoo is something like $3. Eventually an Ulta rep came over to ask me for help. I told her what I was looking for and she proceeded to look through the aisles with no more knowledge about the products than I possessed just minutes prior. Quite frankly I think she just picked up the first one she saw, and that was Big Sexy Hair Volumizing Dry Shampoo.

My second mistake was not really glancing too long at the price and kind of brushing it off for fear of looking cheap in front of this incredibly made up Ulta worker, even though she didn't know any better than I did. It's $17.95, but for some reason I thought it was closer to $15. I mentioned that I didn't want anything that smelled awful and when she sprayed it on her arm I couldn't really smell anything bad. Now that I think about it, why the heck would you spray that on your arm for a customer to smell? If you're wearing perfume then it is completely pointless. Whatever. I bought it, went home and used it.

It smells awful.

Not only did it smell awful but it turned my hair into straw. All the effort I put into moisturizing my hair the days that I do clean it is completely gone with one spray of this stuff. It was like straw. And while it did volumize I felt like all I could do with it was put it in a bun and go about my day. I don't want to be limited to just wearing a ponytail or pulling my hair back similarly just because it's a dry shampoo day, and that really irritated me about the product.

But I didn't want to dismiss it after just once use so I decided to wait and use it again. That second time happened to be this morning, and sadly my opinion hasn't changed. While the straw hair feeling does diminish somewhat, my hair is still crunchy and dry; I don't even want to try to smell it.

I don't often return beauty purchases because I don't often spend too much money on them, but for $17.95 I think I'll return this and get my money back. My Dove dry shampoo will have to suffice for now until I find something better, but it's clear I need to do some research before I go back to the store to pick one up. And perhaps I'll avoid Ulta next time and head straight for Sephora, where I know the reps are much more knowledgable about their products.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...